Title: Five Monsoon Getaways Closer to Kolkata
Introduction: The monsoon season brings with it a refreshing ambiance and a respite from the scorching summer heat. While some may prefer to stay indoors during this time, others seek opportunities to venture out and explore the beauty of nature. If you’re in Kolkata and looking for a quick getaway to enjoy the monsoon, you’re in luck! Here are five picturesque destinations closer to Kolkata that come alive during the rainy season.
- Shantiniketan: Located approximately 160 kilometers from Kolkata, Shantiniketan is a quaint town known for its association with the famous poet, Rabindranath Tagore. This cultural hub offers a serene escape into nature with its lush greenery, red soil, and tranquil atmosphere. The monsoon adds an ethereal charm to Shantiniketan, with its sprawling gardens, art galleries, and the iconic Visva Bharati University. Immerse yourself in the world of Tagore, take leisurely walks, and enjoy the captivating monsoon showers amidst the tranquil surroundings.
- Sundarbans: For nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers, a trip to the Sundarbans is a must. This UNESCO World Heritage Site, situated in the Ganges Delta, is home to the majestic Royal Bengal Tigers and a rich biodiversity of flora and fauna. While the monsoon brings heavy rains, it also enhances the beauty of the mangrove forests, creating a mystical atmosphere. Embark on a thrilling boat safari, explore the winding river channels, and witness nature at its best during this season.
- Darjeeling: Nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas, Darjeeling is a popular hill station renowned for its tea gardens, scenic vistas, and the famous Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, also known as the “Toy Train.” The monsoon brings a refreshing charm to this picturesque town, with mist-covered mountains, vibrant green landscapes, and cascading waterfalls. Sip a cup of Darjeeling tea, visit the serene monasteries, and take a joyride on the toy train to soak in the magical monsoon ambiance.
- Digha: For those seeking a beach getaway, Digha offers a perfect retreat during the monsoon. Located around 180 kilometers from Kolkata, this coastal town boasts of pristine beaches and breathtaking views of the Bay of Bengal. While swimming might not be advisable during this season, the monsoon showers create a captivating ambiance for leisurely walks along the shore, enjoying the fresh sea breeze, and relishing delicious seafood delicacies at the beachside shacks.
- Puri: Puri, situated in the neighboring state of Odisha, is renowned for its famous Jagannath Temple and its serene beaches. The monsoon infuses a unique charm into this coastal town, with the rain-washed streets, the sound of crashing waves, and the peaceful ambiance. Explore the sacred temples, witness the famous Rath Yatra festival if it coincides with your visit, and take long walks on the beach to enjoy the beauty of the monsoon in Puri.
Conclusion: While Kolkata itself holds its own charm during the monsoon, these five nearby getaways provide an opportunity to escape the city and embrace the beauty of nature. Whether you prefer cultural exploration, wildlife encounters, hill station retreats, beachside relaxation, or spiritual experiences, these destinations cater to a variety of interests. So, pack your bags, embrace the monsoon showers, and embark on a memorable journey to these enchanting getaways closer to Kolkata.