Kolkata, the cultural capital of India, is a city that is steeped in history and tradition. Pohela Boishakh, the Bengali New Year, is a time when the city comes alive with vibrant colors, music, and festivities. If you’re in Kolkata during this time, here are the top 10 places you must visit to experience the true essence of Pohela Boishakh:
- Dakshineswar Kali Temple: The Dakshineswar Kali Temple is one of the most popular landmarks in Kolkata. It is a beautiful temple dedicated to Goddess Kali, and you can witness the daily rituals and prayers during Pohela Boishakh.
- Howrah Bridge: The Howrah Bridge is an iconic structure in Kolkata. It is a perfect place to visit during Pohela Boishakh, as you can witness the colorful decorations and lights that adorn the bridge during this time.
- Victoria Memorial: The Victoria Memorial is a stunning monument that pays tribute to the British era in India. During Pohela Boishakh, the gardens and grounds of the Victoria Memorial are decorated with flowers and lights, creating a magical atmosphere.
- Park Street: Park Street is one of the liveliest areas in Kolkata during Pohela Boishakh. You can explore the various shops and restaurants, and soak in the festive atmosphere.
- Princep Ghat: Princep Ghat is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike. During Pohela Boishakh, you can witness the boat races on the river Ganges, and enjoy the street food and music.
- St. Paul’s Cathedral: St. Paul’s Cathedral is a beautiful church that is over 200 years old. During Pohela Boishakh, you can witness the special services and prayers that are held in the church.
- Kalighat Temple: The Kalighat Temple is another popular temple in Kolkata that is dedicated to Goddess Kali. During Pohela Boishakh, you can witness the special rituals and prayers that are performed in the temple.
- College Street: College Street is a paradise for book lovers. You can explore the various bookstores and shops, and find some unique books and manuscripts during Pohela Boishakh.
- Kumartuli: Kumartuli is a neighborhood in Kolkata that is famous for its clay idols. During Pohela Boishakh, you can witness the artisans creating beautiful idols of Goddess Durga and other deities.
- Science City: Science City is a popular attraction for kids and adults alike. During Pohela Boishakh, you can witness the various exhibits and demonstrations, and learn about science and technology.
In conclusion, Kolkata is a city that has something for everyone. From temples to bookstores, there are several places you can visit to experience the true essence of Pohela Boishakh. So, get ready to explore the city and enjoy the unique culture and traditions of Kolkata during Pohela Boishakh.