Diwali, the festival of lights, is a time of joy, togetherness, and celebration. In Kolkata, the city of culture and tradition, this festival takes on a unique and vibrant dimension. As the streets come alive with the warm glow of diyas (oil lamps), the aroma of delicious sweets fills the air, and the colorful decorations bedeck homes and markets. One of the most cherished aspects of Diwali is shopping for new clothes, home decor, and gifts. Kolkata offers a multitude of shopping destinations, each with its own distinctive charm. In this article, we will take you on a tour of 15 Diwali shopping destinations you must visit in Kolkata.
- New Market (Hogg Market): Start your Diwali shopping adventure at the iconic New Market. This bustling market is known for its wide range of products, including clothing, accessories, home decor, and gifts. During Diwali, the market is beautifully adorned with traditional and contemporary Diwali items.
- Gariahat Market: Gariahat is a popular shopping district where you can find an extensive collection of clothing, jewelry, and accessories. It’s the perfect place to pick up traditional Bengali sarees and textiles for the festival.
- Dakshinapan Shopping Complex: Dakshinapan is an open-air shopping complex that promotes Indian handicrafts and traditional art forms. It’s a treasure trove of handcrafted Diwali gifts, such as terracotta items and hand-painted textiles.
- Bara Bazaar: If you’re looking for budget-friendly Diwali items, Bara Bazaar is a wholesale market offering a wide variety of options, from earthenware for diyas to decorative lights and accessories.
- South City Mall: For a modern and upscale shopping experience, head to South City Mall. During Diwali, the mall is adorned with festive decor and hosts numerous stalls offering designer clothing, jewelry, and gourmet Diwali sweets.
- Hatibagan Market: Hatibagan Market in North Kolkata is known for its traditional clothing and accessories, making it a great place to find unique and affordable Diwali outfits.
- College Street: College Street, famous for its bookstores, is an excellent place to shop for educational and cultural gifts. Consider picking up books, art supplies, or other intellectual presents for your loved ones.
- Kumortuli: Renowned for its idol makers, Kumortuli is an extraordinary place to witness the artistry behind Diwali idols and even commission custom-made clay idols for your celebrations.
- Shreeram Arcade: Located in Burrabazar, Shreeram Arcade is a wholesale market for fancy lights and decorative items. It’s the perfect destination for enhancing your home decor during Diwali.
- Chowringhee Road: Home to some of Kolkata’s finest clothing and jewelry stores, Chowringhee Road comes alive with lights and festivity as Diwali approaches.
- City Centre Salt Lake: This shopping center in the heart of Salt Lake City offers a mix of traditional and contemporary Diwali shopping options. It’s a favorite destination for families looking to celebrate together.
- Tollygunge Club Market: Known for its eclectic range of fashion boutiques and jewelry stores, Tollygunge Club Market is a must-visit for those seeking unique Diwali attire and accessories.
- Mani Square Mall: Located in Kankurgachi, this mall boasts a variety of Diwali-themed stalls and shops. You’ll find clothing, decor, and a wide array of traditional sweets.
- Burrabazar: Kolkata’s wholesale market is a treasure trove of Diwali merchandise, offering everything from electrical items to festive clothing and accessories.
- City Center New Town: This modern shopping complex in New Town offers a great mix of traditional and contemporary Diwali items. It’s an ideal spot to shop for your festive needs.
Kolkata is a paradise for Diwali shoppers, offering a diverse range of options to cater to every taste and budget. These 15 Diwali shopping destinations capture the spirit of the festival, reflecting the city’s rich culture and traditions. So, as Diwali approaches, make sure to explore these fantastic shopping spots to immerse yourself in the festive spirit and create cherished memories during this celebration of lights and togetherness in the City of Joy.