Kolkata, the cultural capital of India, is not only known for its art, literature, and music but also for its mouth-watering street food. The city is a paradise for foodies, and the streets are filled with a variety of flavors and aromas. Here are 10 unique Kolkata street foods that you must try:
- Kathi Roll: Kathi Roll is a popular street food in Kolkata, which originated from Nizam’s restaurant. It is made with a paratha filled with a spicy mix of chicken or mutton, onions, and egg. The roll is a filling and delicious snack, perfect for a quick bite.
- Telebhaja: Telebhaja is a popular snack in Kolkata, made with a variety of deep-fried fritters like potato, brinjal, cauliflower, and onion. The fritters are crispy, spicy, and perfect for rainy days.
- Ghugni: Ghugni is a spicy snack made with dried yellow peas, onions, and spices. It is a popular street food in Kolkata, and you can find it in every nook and corner of the city. Ghugni is a filling snack, perfect for a quick meal.
- Mughlai Paratha: Mughlai Paratha is a famous street food in Kolkata, made with a flaky paratha filled with egg, minced meat, and spices. The paratha is crispy, spicy, and perfect for breakfast or a late-night snack.
- Jhal Muri: Jhal Muri is a spicy snack made with puffed rice, onions, peanuts, green chilies, and spices. The snack is light, spicy, and perfect for a quick snack while exploring the city.
- Dimer Devil: Dimer Devil is a popular street food in Kolkata, made with boiled eggs coated with a spicy potato mixture and deep-fried. The snack is crispy, spicy, and perfect for an evening snack with tea.
- Puchka: Puchka is a popular street food in Kolkata, similar to golgappa or panipuri. It is a small, crispy hollow ball filled with mashed potatoes, chickpeas, tamarind chutney, and spicy water. The snack is a burst of flavors in your mouth.
- Churmur: Churmur is a popular street food in Kolkata, made with mashed potatoes, chickpeas, crispy fried noodles, tamarind chutney, and spices. The snack is spicy, tangy, and perfect for a quick snack.
- Fish Fry: Fish Fry is a popular street food in Kolkata, made with marinated fish, coated with breadcrumbs, and deep-fried. The fish is crispy, spicy, and perfect for seafood lovers.
- Momo: Momo is a popular street food in Kolkata, similar to dumplings. It is made with a filling of minced meat or vegetables and served with a spicy sauce. The snack is steamed, light, and perfect for a quick meal.
In conclusion, Kolkata’s street food is a perfect blend of flavors, spices, and textures that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. If you are a food lover, make sure to try these unique and delicious street foods and savor the flavors of Kolkata.