Durga Puja, the grand celebration of the goddess Durga’s arrival, is not just about the pandal-hopping and cultural extravaganzas but also an opportunity to indulge in some of the finest culinary experiences Kolkata has to offer. The city’s restaurants embrace the festive spirit with special menus and decorations, making dining out during Pujo an essential part of the celebration. In this article, we’ll guide you through some of the best restaurants in Kolkata that you must visit to elevate your Durga Puja experience.
- 6 Ballygunge Place: Known for its authentic Bengali cuisine, 6 Ballygunge Place is a culinary haven for those seeking traditional flavors. During Durga Puja, the restaurant offers a special Pujo menu that includes classic dishes like Shorshe Ilish (hilsa fish in mustard sauce), Chingri Malai Curry (prawns in coconut milk), and a variety of delectable sweets.
- Oh! Calcutta: Oh! Calcutta is another iconic restaurant that specializes in Bengali cuisine with a contemporary twist. Their Pujo spread features a mix of traditional and innovative dishes, ensuring a delightful dining experience. Be sure to try their Kosha Mangsho (slow-cooked mutton) and various fish preparations.
- Kewpie’s Kitchen: Nestled in the heart of North Kolkata, Kewpie’s Kitchen is famous for its home-cooked Bengali fare. Their Pujo menu is a celebration of authentic family recipes passed down through generations. You can relish dishes like Luchi and Cholar Dal, Mutton Dak Bungalow, and a variety of pickles and chutneys.
- Bohemian: For those looking for a fusion of global flavors with a Bengali twist, Bohemian is the place to be. During Durga Puja, they craft an innovative menu that combines Bengali ingredients and techniques with international culinary concepts. The result is a gastronomic journey that tantalizes the taste buds.
- Bhojohori Manna: Bhojohori Manna is a renowned name when it comes to serving traditional Bengali comfort food. During Pujo, they offer a special menu that features all-time favorites like Fish Curry, Aloo Posto (potatoes in poppy seed paste), and their famous Mishti Doi.
- Kolkata Biryani House: While biryani may not be traditionally associated with Durga Puja, it has become a beloved part of the festive food scene in Kolkata. Kolkata Biryani House serves up fragrant and flavorful biryanis that are perfect for those seeking a change from the regular Bengali fare.
- Machaan: Located at the Science City area, Machaan offers a unique dining experience with its treehouse-like setting. During Durga Puja, they curate a special menu that combines Bengali flavors with an outdoor ambiance, providing a refreshing escape from the bustling city.
- The Legacy Grill: If you’re in the mood for an upscale dining experience, The Legacy Grill at The Lalit Great Eastern is an excellent choice. Their Pujo menu includes a mix of Bengali and continental dishes, and the elegant setting adds a touch of sophistication to your celebration.
Kolkata’s culinary scene is as diverse as its cultural heritage, and during Durga Puja, it truly comes alive with special menus and festive decorations. These restaurants offer a wide range of options, from traditional Bengali fare to innovative fusion dishes, ensuring that every palate is satisfied. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, exploring these restaurants during Durga Puja is a delicious way to immerse yourself in the festivities and create lasting memories with friends and family. So, make reservations in advance and get ready to savor the flavors of Kolkata’s Pujo celebrations in style.