Kolkata, the cultural capital of India, is not only famous for its historical monuments and beautiful streets but also for its mouth-watering street food. The city is known for its love for food, and street food is an integral part of its food culture. The city’s streets are lined with vendors selling an array of dishes, from savory snacks to sweet delights. In this article, we will explore some of the best street food in Kolkata.
- Kathi Rolls: Kathi Rolls are Kolkata’s most famous street food, and it is a must-try dish for anyone visiting the city. This delicious snack is made by wrapping a hot paratha around a filling of spicy chicken, mutton, or vegetables. The rolls are then drizzled with a tangy sauce and served hot.
- Jhal Muri: Jhal Muri is a popular Bengali snack made with puffed rice, peanuts, vegetables, and spices. This snack is perfect for those who love to snack on something crunchy and spicy. Jhal Muri is easily available on every street corner of Kolkata.
- Phuchka: Phuchka, also known as Golgappa or Panipuri, is a popular street food in India. It is a small round ball of flour filled with a mixture of mashed potatoes, onions, and spices, and then dipped in a tangy tamarind water. It is one of the most loved street foods in Kolkata.
- Churmur: Churmur is a spicy snack made by mixing mashed potatoes, crushed phuchka shells, onions, green chilies, and tamarind water. This dish is a combination of different flavors and textures and is a must-try for anyone visiting Kolkata.
- Ghugni: Ghugni is a delicious snack made by boiling white peas and then adding spices and vegetables to it. This dish is usually served with a garnish of onions, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. It is a perfect dish for those looking for a filling and flavorful snack.
- Telebhaja: Telebhaja is a popular street food in Kolkata, and it is a deep-fried snack made with various vegetables, such as potato, brinjal, and onion. It is a popular tea-time snack in Kolkata and is usually served with a cup of hot tea.
- Mughlai Paratha: Mughlai Paratha is a popular breakfast dish in Kolkata. It is a flaky paratha stuffed with minced meat, egg, and spices. This dish is filling and delicious, and it is perfect for those looking for a hearty breakfast.
In conclusion, Kolkata’s street food scene is a reflection of the city’s culture and history. The street food in Kolkata is a must-try for anyone visiting the city, and it is sure to leave you wanting more. From the famous Kathi Rolls to the delicious Phuchka, Kolkata’s street food has something for everyone. So, when you visit Kolkata, make sure to explore the streets and try some of the best street food the city has to offer.