Kolkata, also known as the City of Joy, is a vibrant and culturally rich city that attracts tourists from all over the world. While the city has its own charm, the monsoon season adds a unique flavor to the surrounding areas, making it the perfect time to explore nearby tourist destinations. Here are some of the best tourist destinations to explore during the monsoon in the vicinity of Kolkata.
- Sunderbans: The Sunderbans is a UNESCO World Heritage site that is known for its dense mangrove forests and unique ecosystem. The monsoon season is the perfect time to explore the Sunderbans, as the rain brings the forest to life. Visitors can take a boat ride to explore the mangrove forests, spot exotic wildlife like the Royal Bengal Tiger, and witness the breathtaking beauty of the Sunderbans during the monsoon.
- Darjeeling: Located in the foothills of the Himalayas, Darjeeling is a picturesque hill station that is known for its tea plantations, stunning views of the Himalayas, and pleasant climate. During the monsoon season, the hills come alive with lush greenery and cascading waterfalls. Visitors can take a ride on the famous Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, also known as the “Toy Train,” and explore the tea plantations that offer panoramic views of the hills.
- Digha: Digha is a popular seaside resort town that is located approximately 200 km from Kolkata. The monsoon season is a great time to visit Digha, as the town comes alive with the sound of crashing waves and cool sea breeze. Visitors can enjoy long walks on the beach, explore the nearby fishing villages, and indulge in fresh seafood.
- Shantiniketan: Shantiniketan is a small town located approximately 165 km from Kolkata that is known for its connection with the Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore. The town is home to Visva Bharati University, which was founded by Tagore, and boasts a rich cultural heritage. The monsoon season brings with it lush greenery and a pleasant climate, making it the perfect time to explore the town’s museums, art galleries, and handicraft markets.
- Puri: Puri is a popular seaside resort town located approximately 500 km from Kolkata. The town is famous for its ancient Jagannath temple, which attracts thousands of devotees every year. The monsoon season is a great time to visit Puri, as the town is less crowded, and the rain brings a unique charm to the seaside town.
The monsoon season is a great time to explore the surrounding areas of Kolkata and experience the unique charm of these tourist destinations. Whether it’s the lush greenery of the Sunderbans, the cascading waterfalls of Darjeeling, or the cool sea breeze of Digha, there’s something for everyone to enjoy during the monsoon season.