Kolkata is a shopper’s paradise, with a variety of markets catering to all budgets and tastes. From traditional bazaars to modern malls, the city has it all. In this guide, we will take a closer look at the best shopping markets in Kolkata, where you can find everything from clothes and accessories to handicrafts and souvenirs.
- New Market: Located in the heart of the city, New Market is one of the oldest and most popular shopping destinations in Kolkata. It is a bustling bazaar that houses over 2,000 stalls selling everything from clothes and jewelry to spices and sweets. The market is also famous for its leather goods and embroidered textiles, making it a must-visit for tourists.
- Gariahat Market: Another popular shopping destination in Kolkata is Gariahat Market, located in South Kolkata. It is a vibrant market that offers a wide range of products, including clothes, accessories, and electronics. The market is also known for its street food stalls and is a great place to sample some of Kolkata’s famous snacks.
- Dakshinapan Shopping Center: If you’re looking for traditional handicrafts and handloom products, Dakshinapan Shopping Center is the place to go. Located in South Kolkata, the shopping center houses over 70 stalls selling a variety of handmade items, including sarees, shawls, and jewelry. It is also a great place to pick up souvenirs to take back home.
- College Street: College Street is a famous market in Kolkata known for its collection of books and educational materials. It is home to numerous bookstores that sell both new and used books, making it a haven for book lovers. In addition to books, the market also offers a variety of stationary and other academic supplies.
- AC Market: If you’re looking for affordable clothing and accessories, AC Market in South Kolkata is a great place to shop. It offers a variety of products at reasonable prices, including traditional Indian wear and western-style clothing.
- South City Mall: For a more modern shopping experience, South City Mall is a popular destination in Kolkata. The mall houses over 150 stores, including national and international brands, as well as a variety of restaurants and entertainment options.
In conclusion, Kolkata offers a diverse range of shopping experiences, from traditional bazaars to modern malls. Whether you’re looking for traditional handicrafts or trendy fashion, there’s something for everyone in the city’s shopping markets. So, grab your shopping bags and get ready to explore the best of Kolkata’s shopping destinations.