Title: Top 10 Best Street Food in Kolkata
Introduction: Kolkata, the cultural capital of India, is renowned for its rich history, literature, and, of course, its delectable street food. The city’s bustling streets are filled with enticing aromas and vibrant food stalls that offer a wide array of mouthwatering delicacies. From savory snacks to sweet treats, Kolkata’s street food scene has something to satisfy every palate. In this article, we present the top 10 best street foods in Kolkata that you simply must try.
- Puchka (Panipuri): Puchka, also known as panipuri or golgappa, is an all-time favorite street food in Kolkata. These crispy, hollow puris are filled with a mixture of tangy tamarind water, spicy mashed potatoes, chickpeas, and various flavorful spices. The burst of flavors and textures in your mouth will leave you craving for more.
- Kathi Rolls: Kolkata is famous for its Kathi Rolls, which are a delightful combination of succulent kebabs, onions, green chutney, and a squeeze of lemon juice, all wrapped in a soft paratha. This grab-and-go snack is a perfect blend of taste and convenience.
- Ghugni Chaat: Ghugni Chaat is a popular street food made from dried yellow peas cooked in a spicy gravy, garnished with chopped onions, coriander, and a squeeze of lemon. Served with crispy Indian flatbread or puffed rice, this flavorful dish is a favorite among locals.
- Jhal Muri: Jhal Muri is Kolkata’s version of a spicy puffed rice snack. It is made by mixing puffed rice with chopped onions, tomatoes, green chilies, coriander leaves, and a tangy tamarind sauce. This light and refreshing street food is perfect for a quick snack on the go.
- Mughlai Paratha: Mughlai Paratha is a scrumptious delicacy that originated in Kolkata. It is a flaky, stuffed paratha filled with minced meat, onions, eggs, and a blend of aromatic spices. Served with a side of tangy chutney, this indulgent street food is a true delight for meat lovers.
- Telebhaja (Fritters): Telebhaja refers to a variety of deep-fried fritters that are immensely popular in Kolkata. From crispy beguni (fried eggplant slices) to mouthwatering kochuri (fried bread stuffed with lentils), telebhaja is a go-to snack for locals, especially during monsoon season.
- Chicken Kobiraji Cutlet: Chicken Kobiraji Cutlet is a famous street food in Kolkata that consists of a succulent chicken cutlet coated with a delicate layer of fried egg. The crispy outer layer adds a unique texture to the juicy and flavorful chicken, making it a must-try dish.
- Aloo Kabli: Aloo Kabli is a delightful street food made from boiled potatoes, spices, tamarind chutney, and a special blend of masalas. This tangy and savory snack is garnished with chopped onions and coriander leaves, creating a burst of flavors with every bite.
- Phuchka: Phuchka is a slight variation of Puchka, where the puris are filled with a mixture of spicy mashed potatoes, black chickpeas, and tangy tamarind water. This iconic street food of Kolkata is a favorite among locals and visitors alike.
- Mishti Doi: No culinary journey through Kolkata is complete without indulging in its famous Mishti Doi. This sweetened, creamy yogurt is made by fermenting milk with jaggery, giving it a unique caramelized flavor. Served in earthen pots, Mishti Doi is a delightful dessert that represents the city’s sweet tooth.
Conclusion: Kolkata’s street food scene is a paradise for food lovers, offering an incredible range of flavors, spices, and textures. From tangy puchkas to crispy telebhajas and delectable mishti doi, the city’s street food will undoubtedly tantalize your taste buds. So, the next time you visit Kolkata, make sure to explore its vibrant streets and savor these top 10 best street foods for an unforgettable culinary experience.