Kolkata, often referred to as the “City of Joy,” is not only celebrated for its rich cultural heritage but also for its culinary diversity. When it comes to food, the city offers an array of options to satisfy every palate, making it a food lover’s paradise. For those seeking the best lunch experiences in Kolkata, this article presents a curated list of restaurants and eateries that serve up a delectable mix of traditional Bengali cuisine and international flavors.
- Oh! Calcutta: Oh! Calcutta is an iconic restaurant that brings the authentic flavors of Bengali cuisine to the forefront. From luchi with aloor dum to bhetki paturi, the menu is a tribute to the rich culinary traditions of Bengal. The elegant ambiance and impeccable service add to the overall dining experience.
- 6 Ballygunge Place: A haven for Bengali food lovers, 6 Ballygunge Place is known for its delectable thalis, showcasing a variety of regional dishes. This restaurant beautifully captures the essence of Bengali hospitality and is a must-visit for those craving a traditional meal.
- Kewpie’s: Kewpie’s, tucked away in a cozy corner of South Kolkata, is renowned for its homemade Bengali delicacies. The menu changes daily, offering guests a chance to savor an assortment of authentic dishes prepared with love and care.
- Bohemian: For a fusion of flavors and a contemporary dining experience, Bohemian is a standout choice. This restaurant combines Bengali ingredients with global culinary techniques, resulting in innovative and mouthwatering dishes.
- Mocambo: A legendary Kolkata institution, Mocambo is famous for its Continental cuisine. The iconic deviled crab and sizzlers are must-tries, and the old-world charm of the restaurant’s décor adds to its allure.
- Peter Cat: Known for its iconic chelo kebabs and sizzlers, Peter Cat is a beloved spot for a hearty lunch in Kolkata. The dimly lit, vintage ambiance gives it a timeless appeal.
- Aaheli: Aaheli, located in The Peerless Inn, offers a fine dining experience with an extensive menu featuring Bengali delicacies. Their bengali thali is a popular choice, offering a variety of flavors on a single platter.
- Bhojohori Manna: Bhojohori Manna is a favorite among locals for its affordable yet authentic Bengali cuisine. The restaurant serves a range of mouthwatering dishes, including mutton kosha and mochar ghonto.
- Arsalan: If you’re craving Kolkata’s famed biryani, Arsalan is the place to go. Their fragrant and flavorful biryanis are a hit among locals and tourists alike.
- Flurys: For a taste of colonial-era Kolkata, visit Flurys, a famous tearoom and bakery. Indulge in their delectable pastries, sandwiches, and an array of teas while soaking in the old-world charm.
Kolkata’s culinary scene is a delightful blend of tradition and innovation, offering a wide range of dining experiences. Whether you’re a fan of Bengali cuisine or seeking international flavors, these lunch places in Kolkata promise a memorable gastronomic journey. From the rich, traditional flavors of Oh! Calcutta to the fusion delights of Bohemian, Kolkata’s diverse dining landscape has something to please every palate. So, the next time you’re in the City of Joy, be sure to explore these exceptional lunch spots and savor the culinary treasures they have to offer.