Kolkata, the cultural melting pot of India, is celebrated for its diverse culinary landscape. While the city is famous for its delectable Bengali sweets and seafood, it also offers an array of flavors from across the country. South Indian cuisine, in particular, has carved a special place in the hearts and palates of Kolkatans. In this article, we embark on a gastronomic journey to explore the best South Indian food in the City of Joy.
- Banana Leaf: Located in the heart of South Kolkata, Banana Leaf is a name synonymous with authentic South Indian fare. This restaurant offers a wide range of dosas, idlis, vadas, and an assortment of rice-based dishes. Their thali (platter) is a favorite among patrons, showcasing an array of flavors and textures. The crisp dosas and aromatic sambar are reasons enough to visit this establishment.
- Sree Sree Dhaba: Nestled in the heart of the bustling Gariahat market, Sree Sree Dhaba is a hidden gem for South Indian cuisine enthusiasts. Their Mysore dosa and Rava dosa are known for their delightful crispness, while their coconut chutney and sambhar are made with the perfect balance of spices and flavors.
- Aminia’s: Though primarily renowned for its Mughlai cuisine, Aminia’s has also mastered the art of preparing delectable South Indian dishes. The restaurant’s masala dosa and uttapam are popular choices, offering a perfect blend of South Indian flavors amidst a North Indian culinary setting.
- Anand Restaurant: Located near Dhakuria Lake, Anand Restaurant is a local favorite for South Indian comfort food. Their fluffy idlis, crisp dosas, and mouthwatering vadas are served with an assortment of chutneys and sambar, capturing the essence of South Indian cuisine.
- Aditi Fast Food: Aditi Fast Food is a small, unassuming eatery in Salt Lake known for its quick service and delicious South Indian fare. From the evergreen masala dosa to the flavorful lemon rice, Aditi offers a variety of dishes that satisfy both the taste buds and the wallet.
- Utsav: Situated in the heart of the city, Utsav is a South Indian fine dining restaurant that combines the elegance of traditional cuisine with a contemporary touch. Their filter coffee, crisp dosas, and traditional thalis transport diners to the heart of South India.
- Kasturi Restaurant: Kasturi, located in the Gariahat area, is another well-loved South Indian restaurant in Kolkata. Their masala dosas and uttapams are known for their authentic taste and impeccable texture. The relaxed ambiance and friendly service add to the overall dining experience.
- Dosa Village: As the name suggests, Dosa Village specializes in serving a wide variety of dosas. From the classic masala dosa to the unique chocolate dosa, this eatery located in Salt Lake offers an extensive dosa menu that caters to both traditionalists and culinary adventurers.
- Dakshinayan: Dakshinayan, situated in South Kolkata, offers an extensive menu of South Indian delicacies, including their delectable thalis and Chettinad dishes. The restaurant’s warm ambiance and authentic flavors have made it a favorite among South Indian food connoisseurs.
- Ananda Bazar: Located in North Kolkata, Ananda Bazar is a no-frills establishment serving delicious South Indian snacks and dishes. Their vadas, dosas, and uttapams are cherished by locals for their taste and affordability.
Kolkata’s South Indian food scene is a testament to the city’s culinary diversity and its embrace of flavors from all corners of the country. Whether you’re craving a classic masala dosa, a traditional thali, or a unique South Indian fusion dish, the city has something to satisfy every palate. So, the next time you’re in Kolkata, make sure to embark on a culinary adventure to explore the best South Indian food that the City of Joy has to offer.