Kolkata, often referred to as the ‘City of Joy,’ is not just famous for its rich culture, literature, and history but also for its delectable sweets. Bengali sweets, or “mishti” as they are locally known, are a source of immense pride and joy for the city’s residents. In this article, we will take you on a journey to explore the best sweet shops in Kolkata, where you can experience the true essence of these mouthwatering delicacies.
- K.C. Das: The name K.C. Das is synonymous with the iconic Bengali sweet, “Rosogolla.” This legendary sweet shop, established in 1868, is where the beloved dessert was first created. Apart from their world-famous rosogollas, K.C. Das also offers a variety of other mouthwatering sweets like sandesh, chanar payesh, and rasmalai. The rich heritage and delightful flavors make K.C. Das a must-visit destination for sweet enthusiasts.
- Balaram Mullick & Radharaman Mullick: Located in the heart of South Kolkata, this century-old sweet shop is celebrated for its creative confections. From their famous ‘Baked Rosogolla’ to their innovative ‘Chocolate Sandesh,’ they consistently push the boundaries of traditional Bengali sweets while maintaining their original charm.
- Nalin Chandra Das & Sons: Another renowned sweet shop in Kolkata, Nalin Chandra Das & Sons, has been delighting customers with their exceptional quality sweets for generations. Their sandesh and mishti doi (sweetened yogurt) are must-try items on their menu.
- Bhim Chandra Nag: If you’re looking for the authentic taste of Bengali sweets, Bhim Chandra Nag is the place to visit. Their sweets, including rasgulla and sandesh, are known for their classic flavors and exquisite quality. The humble ambiance of the shop adds to the experience.
- Banchharam: For a taste of nostalgia, Banchharam is the go-to sweet shop. Their wide range of traditional Bengali sweets includes classics like chamcham, mihidana, and more. The simplicity and purity of their sweets hark back to a bygone era.
- Girish Chandra Dey & Nakur Chandra Nandy: Situated in North Kolkata, this sweet shop is celebrated for its melt-in-the-mouth roshogollas and an array of traditional sweets. The vintage charm of the shop, which has been serving customers for over a century, makes it a unique destination.
- Ganguram’s: Ganguram’s is a well-known sweet shop with multiple outlets in Kolkata. Their wide range of sweets, including the famous “Joynogorer Moa,” appeals to a diverse clientele. Their contemporary presentation of traditional sweets is a major attraction for the younger generation.
- Mithai: If you’re in the mood for fusion sweets, Mithai is the place to be. They blend traditional Bengali sweets with modern flavors, resulting in innovative creations like the ‘Blueberry Sandesh’ and ‘Chocolate Golapjamun.’ Their commitment to quality and creativity sets them apart.
- Nakur Chandra Das: Located in the heart of the city, Nakur Chandra Das is celebrated for its fresh and delectable sweets, particularly their rosogollas and mishti doi. The shop has maintained its reputation for quality and taste over the years.
- Chittaranjan Mistanna Bhandar: Established in 1936, Chittaranjan Mistanna Bhandar is an iconic sweet shop offering a wide range of traditional Bengali sweets. Their classic sweets and nostalgic charm make it a favorite among locals and tourists alike.
Kolkata’s sweet shops are more than just places to satisfy your sweet tooth; they are an integral part of the city’s cultural heritage. The authenticity, diversity, and creativity showcased in these shops make Kolkata a haven for those who appreciate the art of sweet-making. So, when you visit the ‘City of Joy,’ be sure to embark on a delightful journey to explore these best sweet shops and savor the irresistible taste of Kolkata’s sweet symphony.