Pohela Boishak is the first day of the Bengali calendar, and it is celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervor in Kolkata. It is a time when the city comes alive with vibrant colors, music, and festivities. If you’re planning to visit Kolkata during Pohela Boishak, here’s a guide to help you plan your travel in the city:
- Getting around: Kolkata has a well-developed public transport system, including buses, trams, and the metro. The metro is the fastest and most convenient way to travel around the city, especially during peak hours. You can also hire taxis or use ride-sharing apps like Uber and Ola to get around.
- Accommodation: Kolkata has several options for accommodation, ranging from budget to luxury. During Pohela Boishak, it’s recommended to book your accommodation in advance, as the city sees a surge of visitors during this time.
- Festive atmosphere: Kolkata is known for its festive atmosphere, and Pohela Boishak is no exception. You can witness colorful decorations and lights all around the city, especially in areas like Park Street and New Market.
- Cultural events: Pohela Boishak is a time when Kolkata showcases its rich cultural heritage. You can attend various events and cultural programs, including music and dance performances, poetry recitals, and art exhibitions.
- Food: Kolkata is a food lover’s paradise, and Pohela Boishak is a great time to explore the local cuisine. You can indulge in traditional Bengali delicacies like roshogolla, mishti doi, and luchi alu dom, and also try street food like phuchka and jhal muri.
- Shopping: Kolkata is known for its bustling markets and shopping destinations. During Pohela Boishak, you can explore places like New Market, Gariahat, and Dakshinapan, and shop for traditional Bengali attire, handicrafts, and souvenirs.
- Religious places: Kolkata has several religious places that are worth a visit during Pohela Boishak. You can visit the Dakshineswar Kali Temple, Kalighat Temple, and Belur Math, and witness the special rituals and prayers that are held during this time.
In conclusion, Pohela Boishak is a great time to visit Kolkata and experience its unique culture and traditions. With its festive atmosphere, cultural events, delicious food, and bustling markets, Kolkata offers a memorable travel experience during Pohela Boishak. So, pack your bags and get ready to explore the city and soak in the vibrant colors and festivities of Pohela Boishak.